From experience, we have realized the fact that insider threats are the principal cause of data breaches in organizations. We did a lot of research and found that almost more than half of the data breaching complaints aren’t reported externally.
Meanwhile, we also found that data breaching incidents due to insiders are on the rise. In a global study of Ponemon Institute, they have shown that since 2018, cyber-security breaches have increased by 47%. It shows that one of the most significant hurdles to cyber-security is insider data breaching.
As we know, all insider incidents didn’t happen because of malicious intent. And we found that accidental errors and negligent employees can also be the cause of such issues. Although, while comparing, we found that harm due to negligent employees is much lower than other insider threats.
Tap on Play Button To Listen:
Types Of Insider Data Threats:-
We have further studied this issue and learned about other types of insider data threats. To be more specific, we have categorized these threats into four different types.
Due to the lack of cyber awareness, it has often seen that some employees fall in phishing traps causing data leakage. However, with proper training, such threats can be avoidable up to some extent.
Negligence of employees is also one of the reasons for internal data breaches. According to survey stats, negligent insiders cost around $4.58 million to organizations.
Companies do spend a lot to control the negligence of employees. However, their cost per incident is much lower when compared with intentional misuse and criminal insider breaches. From the report, we found that an average expenditure of organizations due to criminal insiders is around $756K.
Nowadays, IT security management is a very tough job, as there are also privileged insiders causing the advanced persistent threat (APT) to the organizations. Such insiders can harm the most valuable assets of the organization. And it could cost 3-times per incident more than any accidental insider breaches.
From the research, it’s clear that risk due to insider threats in cyber-security is growing more. That’s the reason why organizations are spending more on investigations and dealing with internal cyber crimes.
However, often companies are not able to track such incidents on time. And that brings more pressure to incur further costs.
Detecting Insiders To Ensure Cyber Security:
There isn’t any device that can let you check the anatomy of the human brain to judge their character. Though there isn’t any approach that can patch all the issues related to insiders. Still, using the internal threat detection software, organizations can safeguard against most of the insider cyber-security breaches.
Insider Threat Detection With EmpMonitor:
- The very first thing we have understood is that enterprises do spend a lot on the security of their valuable data. Despite that, their data can be quite vulnerable to insider threats. With EmpMonitor, the employer can get screenshots of employees’ computer activities. Thereby, he could find out any suspicious activities happening in his organization.
- There is also a possibility that accidental incidents, where employees can fall out for phishing traps of outsiders. In such a case, the employer could use the IP white-listing feature of EmpMonitor so that employees can only have access to the data related to their work.
- Negligent insiders are habitual to make mistakes, which can bring up more expenses for the employer. Using EmpMonitor software, the employer can track the Internet activities of employees. And it also provides the complete report of the log details, browsing history, keystrokes, and applications used by employees. That way, employers could easily be able to track the mistakes of negligent insiders who are causing damage to the organization.
- Sometimes the employer trusts their employees and privileged them with access to valuable data of the company. Although most of the time, employees remain faithful to their company. But sometimes disgruntled employees do take advantage of their privileges to harm the valuable assets of the organization.
To safeguard against such insiders, the employer can utilize EmpMonitor Stealth mode monitoring using which employer can track the computer activities of employees’ computers without being recognizable to their system.
EmpMonitor Insider Threat Prevention Features:
With the EmpMonitor’s awesome monitoring feature, you can not only track the insider threat but can also take preventive measures to protect your internal data.
- It has a dedicated dashboard that shows the number of registered employees in your organization. Besides that, it also shows the count of employees who are online and offline during productive hours.
- To find the insiders, go to the Employees detail module. There you can check the details of employees based on their location, department, and role in the workplace.
- It will show you the current working status of employees with red as absentee, green for working online, and blue for offline.
- From there, you can inspect the real-time activities of employees via screenshots. While you can also check past activities of each and every employee for a particular time phase. That way, you can find any suspicious insider activities happening in your organization.
EmpMonitor Security Features:
If you want complete protection from internal data threats, then you can make use of the firewall protection of EmpMonitor. In the “Security” section of EmpMoniter, you have the option to implement firewall rules to restrict any insider actions that may happen in your organization. Besides the firewall, you have the option to add and view domains/categories which you want to impede in your workplace.
- In the firewall, you have the option to create rules for your employees. By creating firewall rules, you can prevent your employees from accessing miscellaneous websites (phishing traps) that can harm your business data.
- Just below the firewall, you have the “Add domain/category” option. In this section, you can add multiple website domains that you want to block in your workplace.
- The next option is View domains. And under this section, you can view the domains on which you have applied the firewall restriction rules.
- EmpMonitor also has the report section. From there, you can download detailed information about the activities of each employee in CSV. In case of any suspicious activity, you can take some concrete measures to protect your organization from insider threats.
- Apart from the above-shown features, EmpMonitor gives you the advantage to manage multiple workplaces remotely based on locations and departments. Under the Settings, you have the Manage locations/departments section. There you can add the locations of workplaces and different departments of your organization.
- For the storage, you have Google drive and dropbox option. While you can only access either one of them at a time.
- To be more secure, you can also implement IP whitelisting. By doing so, you can provide software access to your trusted managers.
These are some of the best features of EmpMonitor, which you can implement to prevent your organization against any type of insider threat.
From our research, we have concluded that insider breaches are a big threat to the cyber-security of organizations. And it can lead them towards more expenditure and losses. In such a case, EmpMonitor can provide the best security patches against insider cyber threats. With it’s monitoring features, an employer can remotely access the computer activities of employees to find any accidental or malicious threats to his company.
In this study, we have tried to consider each and every aspect of insider threats and also shown how you can sort out those threats.
If you have anything to ask, you are always welcome to comment.